What are spiritual gifts?
--"Spiritual gifts are blessings or abilities that are given by the power of the Holy Ghost." (True to the Faith, pg 165)
Some spiritual gifts from the Scriptures:
- Knowledge “that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world” ().
- The capacity to believe the words of those who testify of Jesus Christ (see ).
- Knowledge of “the differences of administration” (; see also ). This gift is used in administering and leading the Church.
- Knowledge of “the diversities of operations,” which helps us discern whether a teaching or influence comes from God or from some other source (; see also ).
- The gift of “the word of wisdom” (; ). This does not refer to the law we know as the Word of Wisdom. Rather, it is the gift of wisdom—the ability to use knowledge in righteous ways.
- The gift of “the word of knowledge” (; ).
- The ability to teach by the power of the Holy Ghost (see ; see also ).
- The gift of faith (see ; ).
- The gift “to have faith to be healed” ().
- The gift “to have faith to heal” (; see also ; ).
- “The working of miracles” (; ; see also ).
- The gift of prophecy (see ; ; ). John the Beloved taught that “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy” ().
- “The beholding of angels and ministering spirits” ().
- “Discerning of spirits” (; ).
- The gift to speak in different languages, or tongues (see ; ; ).
- The gift of “the interpretation of tongues” (; ; see also ).
A few spiritual gifts noted by Elder Bednar in his talk "Quick to Observe."
- Hearing and using a still, small voice
- Being able to weep
- Avoiding contention
- Being agreeable
- Avoiding vain repetition
- Seeking that which is righteous
- Looking to God for guidance
- Being a disciple
- Caring for others
- Being able to ponder
- Bearing mighty testimony
- Receiving the Holy Ghost
- Being quick to observe
What are some of these gifts you would like to learn more about?
How do I identify my spiritual gifts?
Think about spiritual gifts that others around you posses. Your mom, your sibling, your friend, a teacher.
Write down as many of your own spiritual gifts as you can. Do it in the back of your journal, and add to the list throughout the year.
When you are ready, get your Patriarchal Blessing. It will help you identify some of your spiritual gifts.
Ask a parent, friend, or leader to help you!
Number one best answer: PRAY! Your Heavenly Father wants to tell you what your gifts are. He is so pleased to give them to you, and He wants you to know what they are. This way, you can use them to bless yourself and others.
How does Heavenly Father want me to use my spiritual gifts?
These videos will give you some ideas:
Look at your list of spiritual gifts. Write notes next to some of how you can use them to bless others and bring yourself closer to our Heavenly Father.
Scriptures to look at:
- 1 Corinthians 12: 3-27 (examples of Spiritual Gifts)
- Moroni 10:8-18 (examples of Spiritual Gifts)
- D&C 46:13-25 (examples of Spiritual Gifts)
- D&C46:8-10 (Why are we given spiritual gifts?)
- D&C 46:11-12 (Spiritual gifts are given to everyone)
- Articles of Faith 7 (We believe in spiritual gifts)
Some Other Resources:
Talk by President Eyring: "Help Them Aim High."
Talk by Elder Bednar "Quick to Observe."
True to Faith on Spiritual Gifts